Work has started on a 2.3 release of DBReplicator. It's become obvious that certain changes are necessary to further the project, and some of these require database changes. In keeping with the project's stated release numbering policy, changes affecting the database or user interface will get a new major version, thus the 2.3 release is born. Version 2.2 is branched in cvs, to allow for patches to the 2.2 code while forward movement is made on a new and improved version in the main trunk.
Some key planned fixes/enhancements include:
- add a flag to shadow table to indicate replication status of each record (N=not replicated/P=pending/S=synced)
- make sure transaction isolation level is set properly wherever it needs to be
- Windows installer
- combine and simplify configuration files
- automatically handle fields with UTF8 or Unicode characters
- detect connection interruptions and attempt reconnection automatically
- improve schedule handling and remove separate RegClient/RegServer schedule handling for *nix systems (i.e., unify schedule handling)
- remove proprietary Sun API use
- change *nix daemon to run as 'dbreplicator' instead of 'publisher/subscriber'
Some things that would be nice to have in this major version somewhere:
- Windows server mode
- add functionality to UI to browse database tables and shadow tables
- inclusion in the debian repositories (somewhere)
No schedule yet for a release date of 2.4.1, but stay tuned.